Among the many beautiful tourist attractions in Lagos, the National Art Theatre is one worth talking about.
The national art theatre was built in 1977 in the commemoration of the Festival of Arts and Culture (FESTAC ‘77). It’s a center for the promotion of arts and culture.
It’s a 5000 sitting capacity auditorium that has been built with state-of-the-art amenities. It is one of the biggest theatres in Africa and has seen many performances on its stage.
About National Art Theatre, Lagos
The National Theatre Lagos was built by Techno Exporstroy, a Bulgarian Construction Company, and bears resemblance to the Palace of Culture and Sports in Varna, Bulgaria.
It’s located in Iganmu, Lagos State, Nigeria, and is architecturally built to look like a military ceremonial hat.
The National Theatre has two main halls which can accommodate a grand total of 5,000 persons.
Since its opening on September 30th, 1976, it has hosted lots of shows, stage plays, events, exhibitions, conventions, symposiums, workshops, training, etc.
Facilities Available at the National Art Theatre Lagos
On visiting the National Art Theatre, there are lots of facilities you’ll get to see aside from the beautiful architectural design of the National Theatre. They include:
- The Main Theatre: It has a 5,000 sitting-capacity hall with a stage that’s collapsible.
- Cinema: In the theatre, there are 2 full capacity cinema halls with the facility to be able to translate 8 different languages simultaneously. Each of the cinemas can accommodate 350 individuals.
- The National Gallery of Modern Nigerian Arts: There’s a collection of National Gallery of Modern Nigerian Arts that shows you the rich history of Nigerian culture.
- Exhibition Hall: It has an exhibition hall with a 1500 sitting capacity.
- Conference Banquet Hall: This seats 1000 persons.
- The Universal Studio of Arts: This is a section in the National Art Gallery where artworks and paintings are made by highly skilled sculptures.
- Restaurants, Lounges, and Bars: This Art Theatre is home to many restaurants, lounges, bars, and leisure centers so you can hang out here with friends.
- Lobby: It has a lobby with a 250 sitting capacity.
- Lawns: You can have a swell time on some of the well-groomed lawns in the National Art Theatre.
- Gardens: The Art Theatre has well-adorned gardens making it a beautiful site for amazing strolls and walks.
- Large car parks: This multipurpose theatre has a large parking space that can accommodate more than a thousand cars.
- Police Post: The National Art Theatre has a police post for security.
Location of the National Art Theatre and its Opening Hours
The National Art Theatre is located along Iganmu road, Lagos State. It is about 3 minutes drive from Costain and a 15minutes drive from Lagos Island.
If visiting, you can go any day from Sundays to Saturdays, from between 8 am to 6 pm. You can however access the main complex till later in the evening.
Activities to do at the National Art Theatre
- You can watch a stage play here with friends.
- If you want to organize a picnic with friends and family, this is a choice location.
- Simply drink in the sight of the artworks and sculptures here.
- Visit the art gallery and get to see exclusive African paintings, paintings, and sculptures.
- You can go visit the universal studio of art to buy or learn how to make artworks.